I want to introduce a new kitteh to my current one, as I think he needs a companion :) How did your people successfully introduce Buddah into your hom

I wouldn't call Buddah and me a success...we still don't really like each other, but most of the time we're not trying to kill each other, so I guess that's good.

But...I think the best way to make it work is to keep the new kitty in a room by himself for a week or so, and let the kitties sniff each other through the closed door. After a few days bring out something the new kitty has used a lot so that the first kitty can sniff it and get used to his scent. You might wanna do this a few times.

Then after a week or so, gradually introduce them...a few minutes here or there until you increase the time that its so long they just either ignore each other or realize they really like each other. You'll know when that is.

Just make sure the new kitty is healthy before you do anything, like the sniffing stuff. Because Buddah was sick and gave me his cooties, and I nearly died. I think that's why I don't like him.

2 comments:

Victor Tabbycat said...

Good advice, Max! Some kitties get along right away, some after awhile, and some eventually sort of tolerate each other, and a few never get along. I was shut up 1 week for Bonnie to adjust, but she hoped if she ignored me, I wouldn't be there. She tolerated me - barely - for 2.5 years! On the other paw, when my beans brought Nina home, I shoved my way into her room after 24 hours or less and we were instant furiends. Most relationships are somewhere in between. Beans have to be patient and not rush things.

Max said...

I really do wonder if Buddah and I would be friends if I hadn't gotten so sick when he got here. He was such a wild little kitten and I felt so bad... I suspect if I'd stayed healthy we would have played, and all would be fine now. That's why I think people need to be very very careful about introducing kitties, just to make sure they're both healthy first.

Post a Comment